Apr 6, 2013

The Story Behind "It Is Well with My Soul"

Hi everyone! I feel inspired to write about this man whom I just learned about earlier today in church. His name is Horatio Spafford. Many of you have probably never heard this name before as was the case with me, but when I heard his story I just had to share. Spafford lived in the 1800's...a long time ago and had a couple of really traumatic things happen in his life. The first of these events happened when his only son died at the age of four in 1871. This was followed by the Great Chicago Fire which ruined him financially, as he had been a successful lawyer and had invested his life savings in property in that particular area. He was further burdened by an economic downfall in 1873. At this time he planned a vacation with his family to Europe on SS Ville du Havre (this is a ship for those who don't know), but in a late change of plans he had to send his wife and four daughters ahead of him and decided to meet them there later. While crossing the Atlantic the ship crashed into another sea vessel and his four daughters died. His wife survived and sent him a telegram with these words: "Saved alone..."Spafford immediately got on a ship and traveled to bring his wife back home. While he was passing by the spot where his daughters passed away, he was inspired to write these words:

"When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul..."

The song continues and I will post the link below so you can listen to it. I was deeply moved by this story and I just want you to take a couple of minutes to mediate on the things that are bringing you down, the things that keep you awake at night, the things that stress you out and don't allow you to have peace...

Now read this verse: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

True peace can only be found in Christ. AMEN! When Spafford felt like his whole world was coming down on him he did nothing more than look at Christ...and THERE he found peace. I invite you to listen to this song and meditate on what Christ has done for you, then you will recieve his peace.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment